Epson printer won’t recognize ink cartridge is one of the common issues faced by Epson printer users. This issue is not only visible in Epson printers but in printers belonging to other brands as well. Although this issue is not hard to resolve but would require you to perform certain troubleshooting methods to fix the cartridge problem. There is no specific time when the pop-up message telling you about the problem with the cartridge may appear on your screen.
If your Epson printer fails to recognize the cartridges, you won’t be able to print anything from your printer. In this scenario, you need to see if you are using the correct cartridges or not. Else, read below to find out more details on the same.
Why Epson printer doesn’t recognize New ink cartridge?
- The cartridges are not installed properly.
- You are using incompatible cartridges.
- You have not used genuine Epson cartridges.
- The older cartridges have run out of ink.
- You have updated the firmware of your printer but the Epson printer ink cartridge is not recognized after a firmware update.
Try these methods if the Epson printer won’t recognize the ink cartridge
Method 1- Install the cartridges one-by-one
If you try to install the cartridge all at once, your printer might take longer than usual to recognize them. In this situation, what I would suggest is to install the cartridges one-by-one. In case the issue arises after installing one cartridge but won’t show up for others, then the issue is with that particular cartridge.
Method 2- open and run the printer troubleshooter
In case your Epson printer ink cartridge not recognized after the firmware update, then you may try this solution as it has helped many others who were struggling with the same issue:
- First, press the Win + S hotkeys together.
- In the search bar that opens, enter ‘Troubleshooter.’
- Then, select ‘Troubleshoot settings’.
- This will open the ‘Settings’ tab on your screen.
- Then, select ‘Printer’ > ‘Run the troubleshooter.’
- Now, select your Epson printer model.
- Tap ‘Next’ and complete the workaround as suggested.
Method 3- reset your printer and then installed the cartridges
- Remove the ink cartridges after turning on your printer.
- Now, you need to turn off your printer and keep it unplugged for few minutes.
- This will reset the printer.
- After that, plug it back in and turn it on.
- Refer to the printer’s manual to install cartridges.
- Make sure you follow each instruction carefully as outlined in the manual.
- Ensure that the printer is completely clicked in.
Additionally, you can try to clean the cartridge chips if all the methods given above fail to resolve the issue. For this, take a clean and dry cloth and wipe off any dust on the cartridge chips.
How to make an Epson printer recognize clone cartridges?
- Go to the ‘Devices and Printers’ section.
- Right-click on your printer model and select ‘Printing Preferences.’
- Now, tap ‘Maintenance and Utility’ and ‘Extended Settings.’
- Uncheck the box next to ‘Status Monitor and click ‘OK.’
How to bypass the ink cartridge on the Epson printer?
- Hold down the ink button after opening the printer’s lid.
- Now, open the lid of the cartridge of the empty ink.
- And then, close the lid without removing the cartridge.
- After closing the lid, start printing.
- This method is suitable for those printers that don’t have microchips.
How to use nongenuine ink in Epson printer?
Epson printers might not work if you insert the non-genuine ink cartridges in them. However, you can try this one trick to do so. Right-click on your printer, select ‘Printer Preferences’ and tap ‘Speed and Progress.’ After this, go to the monitor box and turn off the monitoring settings by un-checking the box next to ‘Epson Status Monitor.’